Sunday, October 4, 2015

Week 6 Reflection

Recipe Booklet

This week, our assignment was to create our instructional document using a mix of images and text.  To accomplish this, we used InDesign, another program in the Adobe creative suite.  I can see a lot of cool possibilities opening up with using this software, but unfortunately this program gave me a bit of difficulty.  I'm going to have to go back and practice a bit more and get better at it!

Using both images and text combined made the process a lot simpler.  Whereas two weeks ago, I had to keep things simple and be creative when choosing my images, this week I was able to use text on areas that might otherwise seem confusing.  In terms of efficiency, the combination of images and text are definitely better than using only one of the elements.  

I think that a visual/text document, at least the way I designed mine, would cause me to teach differently.  For one thing, the combination of the images and the text give very clear instructions to students using my recipe booklet.  There would be very little that I would have to do other than standing back and facilitating their own self-guided learning.  If I had a document with only text or only images, it would be a little more necessary that I be nearby to direct the students.  Limitations for the combined text/image document focuses mainly around the images themselves and time.  Because I'm forced to find images online and then use Photoshop to edit them, I'm limited to only the pictures I can either locate or create myself.  And that added difficulty of finding images to supplement my text adds additional time to the design of my lesson.  Time is something that I may not always have when creating new material.

The benefits of using this combined visual/text document are obvious... for one, the material is much easier for them to understand.  I mentioned in last week's reflection how the mind is able to absorb more information when both audio and visual elements are in play.  The visual element adds an additional element that will help the student recall the information later.  Finally, if the images are sufficient to teach the material, it can potentially be taught to a speaker in any language.  

It's been very interesting exploring the different options available to me using different types of technology.  I'm looking forward to playing around with some of our audio options next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment