Thursday, September 24, 2015

Week 5 Reflection

Lessons Learned

I’ve been lucky enough to have been taking two classes that have complemented each other this semester.  In addition to my Multimedia in Technology Applications class, I am also taking a Cognitive Psychology course.  While at first glance, one would think that the psychology course would not have a direct relationship with a technology class, I’m finding the opposite to be true.  This is especially true in my study of Dual Coding theory and Cognitive Load.  Without diving into too much detail, the Dual Coding theory states that we have two input channels- verbal and image pathways- and that utilizing both of these pathways in instruction allows learners to better absorb and recall information later.  The Cognitive Load theory focuses on our limited amount of working memory and suggests that utilizing both pathways (an example would be using pictures to support a lecture) lessens the load on the learner’s working memory.  When discussing these related theories, there are also concepts known as the split-attention theory and redundancy principle, both of which discuss how the images being displayed (or how the text accompanying the images) can, if not properly designed, overload the working memory and hurt the learning process. 

This is all to say that I see how the use of visual-textual instruction can benefit teaching and learning.  By utilizing different pathways, we give our students as many opportunities as we can for them to learn the information we’re teaching.  I also see that there is a danger in using visual-textual instruction improperly, particularly the risk of overwhelming a student if the material is too confusing or improperly designed.  This knowledge impacts my teaching and learning by promoting awareness of the benefits and pitfalls of the different kinds of media I use in my lessons, and even more so, by emphasizing the importance of proper instructional design when I create my material.

For our next project, I get to use images and text.  I feel confident that this will allow me to build a better lesson because I can use the text to clarify important points that images alone would not allow.  In the same respect, images can bring a whole new level of understanding that words on a page do not, by themselves, have the ability to convey.  But in using multiple forms of media, I need to exercise caution.  The images I created are mostly sufficient to get the point of my lesson across- I need to avoid adding excessive text and overwhelming the reader.  By keeping the lesson as simple as possible, I’ll increase the likelihood that my learners will be able to understand my instruction.  As I move into my next project, I’ll keep the lessons I’ve learned in mind and keep it simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment