Monday, December 7, 2015

Week 15/16 Reflection


Looking Forward

Over the course of the semester, I've learned a great deal about designing instruction from a multimedia perspective.  The layout of the course, in which we started with the most basic forms of media like text or images and worked our way up to a website incorporating all forms of media, was arranged in the perfect sequence. Following this path of using only one form of media at a time forced me to keep my instruction as uncomplicated as possible, something I should always strive to do when teaching my own material. 

I learned how multimedia instruction could be used to reach different kinds of learners based on their preferred delivery methods. Different kinds of media can allow students to access their learning in a variety of locations, such as their computers, handouts, or even audio on their phone. 
I learned about Cognitive Load theory, and designing my instruction so as not to overload the learners' working memory.  I learned some great design skills as well, such as color theory.  The layout of color on an instructional document can serve to highlight an important part of the document or distract the reader if it isn't used properly.  The layout and placement of images on my documents can also help organize my instruction or cause my learners' even greater confusion if it isn't planned out properly. 

Multimedia instructional design is perfect for constructivist teaching.  The greatest benefit of media is that it can be accessed via multiple delivery methods and locations. Constructivism believes that all knowledge is constructed- whether by personal experiences or through a social negotiation. I can embrace constructivist principles by creating a mulitmedia website and asking students to participate in an online discussion for deeper understanding.  I can allow for personal reflection via blogs so that students can build their own unique understanding of a topic or issue.  I believe that almost everything we've created over the course of the semester can be used in a constructivist-based learning environment. Even though I've just learned exactly what Constructivism is this semester, I feel as though I've always been a practitioner of constructivist principals.  I will continue to apply these principles throughout my career in training.

No comments:

Post a Comment